Finding out that a loved one is being physically, emotionally, sexually, or financially abused in a nursing home can be heartbreaking. You may wonder whether you made a mistake by putting your loved one in a nursing home or not noticing the signs of abuse earlier. But, it’s important to put these feelings of guilt aside and focus on getting help for your loved one. Here’s how to report nursing home abuse in the state of Colorado:

Report the Abuse to the Proper Authorities

Contact both the Colorado Nursing Home Administrators Board and the Adult Protective Services office in your area to report the abuse. The Colorado Nursing Home Administrators Board is responsible for regulating and disciplining all nursing home administrators in the state, while the Adult Protective Services agency fields complaints of elder abuse. These agencies are authorized to conduct investigations into allegations of nursing home abuse. As soon as you file a complaint, they should initiate an investigation to determine if the abuse occurred and if so, who is responsible for it. If the abuse can be verified through an investigation, the abusers may face criminal charges.

If you’re having trouble finding an Adult Protective Services office near you, call the hotline for the National Council on Aging at 1-800-677-1116 and a representative will assist you with this request.

Initiate A Civil Case

Alerting the authorities will help you hold those who abused your loved one responsible for their egregious acts. But, these authorities will not help you recover compensation for your loved one’s medical expenses and pain and suffering that she has experienced as a result of the abuse. In order to recover this compensation for your loved one, you will need to contact a nursing home abuse attorney and file a personal injury claim.

A nursing home abuse attorney can help you with every aspect of reporting nursing home abuse, including alerting the authorities, investigating the abuse, and negotiating a settlement on behalf of your loved one.

Protect Your Loved One

Your first priority should be protecting your loved one from suffering further abuse in the nursing home. If you believe your loved one is in danger in her current nursing home, you will need to find a way to transfer her to another facility as soon as possible. Be sure that you thoroughly research the new facility so your loved one doesn’t have to suffer any longer.

If your loved one is being abused in a nursing home, let our compassionate and caring attorneys help. We know that time is of the essence in cases involving abuse, so we will work quickly to protect your loved one and seek justice against the abusers. Schedule a free consultation with Reisch Law Firm today to discuss your case by calling 303-291-0555 or filling out this online form.