How Much is Your Car Accident Claim Worth?

How Much is Your Car Accident Claim Worth?

One of the first questions that clients often ask their personal injury attorneys is, “How much is my car accident claim worth?” This is a very difficult question to answer because of the many factors that can impact the value of a car accident claim. A personal injury attorney may be able to give you an idea of how much you will be able to recover, but only after carefully reviewing the details of your case.

Types of Compensation

It’s possible that you will be able to recover three types of damages: economic, non-economic, and punitive. Economic damages are awarded to plaintiffs who have incurred expenses or suffered losses as a result of the car accident. For example, these damages would be used to compensate victims for medical expenses or lost wages related to their injuries. Non-economic damages are awarded to plaintiffs who have experienced pain and suffering as a result of the accident. Non-economic damages are never guaranteed, but you are more likely to recover them if your injuries have seriously impacted the quality of your life.

Finally, there are punitive damages. This type of compensation is only awarded to plaintiffs in car accident cases where the defendant’s behavior was extremely negligent. Punitive damages punish the defendant for acting with a complete disregard for others’ safety.

Factors that Could Affect Your Claim

If you want to recover the maximum amount of compensation for your car accident claim, it’s strongly recommended that you work with an attorney and begin documenting evidence as soon as possible. An attorney will handle the negotiations with your insurance company so you do not get taken advantage of or persuaded to accept a settlement that is much lower than you deserve. Documenting evidence ensures that your attorney has everything he needs to present a strong case and achieve the best possible outcome for you.

Another factor that could affect your claim is your own negligence. Colorado is a modified comparative negligence state, which means your compensation could be reduced if you are partly to blame for the accident. Let’s say you were found to be 25% at fault for the accident, and the other driver was 75% at fault. If you were supposed to receive $100,000, you will now only receive $75,000. Plaintiffs who are found to be 50% or more at fault for the accident will not be able to recover any compensation.

To increase your chances of recovering the maximum amount of compensation, contact an experienced personal injury attorney at Reisch Law Firm today. We will fight tirelessly on your behalf to help you recover the compensation that you deserve. Schedule a consultation today by calling 303-291-0555 or filling out this online form.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *