Many people make mistakes when they are young and end up with a criminal record before they are legally considered adults. Fortunately, the state of Colorado does not believe that people should have to carry the crimes they committed as minors with them for the rest of their lives, which is why the state allows some crimes to be expunged. This does not mean that your criminal record will be destroyed, but it will be sealed and treated as if you never committed the crimes. Here’s how to expunge a juvenile criminal record:

Determine eligibility.

You must meet certain requirements in order to file for an expungement, so the first thing you should do is contact an attorney to discuss your eligibility. You are eligible if there are no pending criminal cases against you, you have not been convicted of another crime or adjudicated for another juvenile offense, and expunging your record is in the best interests of the community.

However, there are certain exceptions to these rules. If you were an aggravated or violent juvenile offender or if you committed an offense that could be considered an adult violent crime, you are not eligible. Juveniles who committed unlawful sexual offenses are also not eligible for expungement.

There are also restrictions on when you are allowed to file for expungement. For instance, you can file one year from the date that you completed a juvenile diversion program. However, if you were under court supervision, you will have to wait four years from the date that this was completed.

File the request.

Work with an attorney to file your expungement request with the court. An attorney can help you prepare all of the paperwork that you need to submit to ensure that everything is in order.

Attend the hearing.

A hearing will be scheduled in your expungement case soon after you file the initial paperwork. Let an attorney guide you through what you should expect during this hearing so you are prepared to face the judge. The judge will most likely ask you questions about your request, including why it is in your best interests to expunge your record. At the end of the hearing, the judge will announce whether he is granting your request or not.

Notify agencies.

With the help of your attorney, you will need to notify certain agencies such as the Colorado Bureau of Investigation of your expungement by sending them a copy of the court order. These agencies are required to seal your record within 30 days of receiving the court order.

Do you have a juvenile criminal record? If you’re worried about how your criminal record will affect your future, contact Reisch Law Firm today. Our attorneys will help you determine if you are eligible for expungement. If so, we will aggressively fight to have your records sealed to protect your future. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 303-291-0555 or filling out this online form.